Monday, September 1, 2014

Welcome

Start to a New Lifestyle


Welcome to my new blog where we talk health. 
But first, a background to where it all started. 

I just had a baby. By "just" I mean 4 and a half months ago.
I swear I've never been bigger. When pregnant, I walked EVERY DAY. I ate healthier. 
Then, I gave birth to the cutest little Forsberg baby boy ever. Ridge came into my life and instead of sticking
to my healthy ways, I have been doing the "snow ball" affect. Spiraling out of control.
How sad.
I've tried just me changing. However it's hard when you are married to a junk-food loving, soda addict for a husband. I decided that if I was going to start this new lifestyle, every one in my family would. 
Where to start? 
I had a few Facebook friends having dinner pages. But no one ever posted recipes. 
And honestly, I just didn't care what others were eating. 
I cared about the cookies that were sitting on the counter.

I asked a sister to borrow her Shaun T (amazing guy) DVDs that she had. I told her and my mom that I was going to get fit and look smoking hot! Their response? To get in shape, it all started in the kitchen.
You had to eat healthy. 

I can do this

That dawned on me, but I still had a husband who didn't like to eat hardly veggies or really anything.
How could I start eating healthy when going out to eat had been so tempting and EASY. 
I needed to get my husband on board. 
We went grocery shopping. It was a little spendy to start with, but we were rearing and ready to start our new change. We both needed to be able to keep up with our baby (all boys are active, so better start now).

And so it begins

We bought a new car, SUV, and gas is costly. Instead of driving wherever we go, we were going to walk. 
Instead of spending 20 dollars going out to eat at a restaurant, we would go buy groceries.
Sleeping in? No. Get up early and jump start the day.
Work out. 
COMMITMENT!
Yadda-yadda!
Yesterday was really the first day that we actually started our new lifestyle. 
I was nervous that Tyler (husband guy) wouldn't like what I was going to make. I had told him what I was going to make. He was hesitant to say the least.
But it was SO SUCCESSFUL! SHOCKER! He ate EVERYTHING! 
And what really was amazing was the fact that he wanted to invite people over to have this again! 
OH MY GOSH! 
Tyler. The guy who hated all veggies and loved Pepsi so much, drinking water was out of the question.
What did I have that was so successful? Spaghetti squash. 

Dinner is Served

Instead of just telling you what I HAD for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I decided I would post my recipes, or really how I made it.
Breakfast and Lunch first though (this was for today, dinner yesterday).
Breakfast, Applejack's-dry with a cup of 1% Milk. (Got to have some sugar otherwise I'll go crazy)
Lunch, salad consisting of mixed greens, two strawberries, 1/4 avocado, hard boiled egg, grated cheese, and balsamic dressing. It was delicious.

Now the star of the ball. Our Sunday dinner.
Spaghetti Squash and Salad (as mentioned above)
1 Spaghetti Squash
2 whole mushrooms
Diced onions (I buy mine diced because I can't cut them *tear*)
Spaghetti Sauce

Poke a few forks holes in the squash, then put the whole thing in the microwave.
Microwave on high for about 8 minutes (I had to cut after and re-microwave for another 5ish minutes).
While the squash is in getting all heated up, in a frying pan, saute mushrooms (sliced) and onions. Add spaghetti sauce to the frying pan once onions are translucent.
Take the squash out of the microwave, if you haven't, cut it in half lengthwise and remove seeds.
Like I stated, I had to cut mine in half, then re-heat.
I prepared the salad while everything was simmering and cooking. 
Plated up dinner with the squash cut in half, sauce added right in the middle (you can gut the squash, but it was fun eating it right out of the shell/skin). Salad on plate. 
Then... ENJOY! 

It was fun and easy. My kind of healthy!

Do you have any other recipes using spaghetti squash that have been a success? 
Share them in the comments!



2 comments:

  1. SPAGHETTI SQUASH FOREVER! I can't believe I hadn't tried it for so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is September 10th !!! where are the updates ??? just wondering
    love mce

    ReplyDelete